Fiji NGOs play a critical part in developing society, improving local communities, and advancing citizen participation.
One of our mission at FijiGuide is to support Fiji’s growing civil society and promote the good works of organizations that have been recommended to us by readers and/or contributors.
In this regard we are happy to promote the activities of NatureFiji-MareqetiViti — Fiji’s only domestic NGO working solely for the conservation and sustainable management of Fiji’s unique natural heritage. Not only is this org doing great things on the ground but its endeavors are supported by credible international orgs such as the David and Lucille Packard Foundation and Birdlife International.
To quote their website:
NatureFiji-MareqetiViti’s mission is to enhance biodiversity and habitat conservation, endangered species protection and sustainable use of natural resources of the Fiji Islands through the promotion of collaborative conservation action, awareness raising, education, research and biodiversity information exchange.
Their programs include:
- Safeguarding Island Ecosystems–Protect and restore unique island ecosystems through the management of invasive species
- Protected Areas–Develop an expanded and effectively managed terrestrial protected area network established based on national and international biodiversity priorities
- Building A Strong Conservation Constituency–Be an effective democratically governed NGO capable of contributing to the NBSAP through direct conservation action & effective advocacy
- Threatened Species–Extinction risk reduced for priority threatened species
- Education & Communication–Measurably enhanced understanding on the value of, and the need for, natural heritage conservation and enhanced capacity to manage natural resources amongst target audiences
- Sustainable Management Of Fiji’s Forest Ecosystems–Enhanced sustainable management of Fiji’s forests and related ecosystems of national heritage importance.
If you have an NGO you support, please let us know.