Fiji Guide

The most trusted source on Fiji

Hello!  My fiance and I are planning on spending our honeymoon in Fiji the first week of October (for 7-8 nights).  We have been doing a TON of research on the different islands, but would love to get some advice from some of you!  We would love to stay half the time possibly on the main island, and they other half on a smaller island ( Viti Levu/Mamanuca Islands).

Which resorts would you recommend?  We do not wish to spend the MOST money, but still something very nice for a honeymoon.  Nice beaches is very important.  I've read that the beaches may not be as nice on the coral coast?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Views: 4654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bula Valerie,

I usually recommend bypassing the main island, Viti Levu, altogether in favor of one of the island resorts in the Mamanucas, Yasawas, or depending on if you also scuba dive, the windward islands such as Taveuni or Vanua Levu.  In general though, the best beaches are in the Mamanucas and the Yasawas.  The Coral Coast caters mainly to Aussie families, not really a honeymoon oriented area.

Depending on your budget, my favorites are Matamanoa and Tokoriki in the Mamanucas, Navutu Stars and Yasawa Island Resort in the Yasawas, and Qamea Island Resort and Namale in the windward islands.  For all around best value I favor Qamea because it has a nice beach, great food, a lot of cultural options and activities, and besides including meals and most activities they also include beer and wine from noon to 10pm.  If you want pricing email me at Rick.Garrett@TravPac.com and I'll get them to you right away.  Fiji is not a place you should book directly, there are too many transportation complications there.

You can't rely on the Coral Coast for weather or beaches (in my opinion).  I highly recommend the Blue Lagoon Cruise but save it for the last part of your honeymoon because everything will pale after the cruise.  I did NOT like the Sonaisali so would not recommend that but check out Octopus, maybe Oarsman's.  Lomalagi looks beautiful but have never stayed there....on my bucket list.

Congratulations, and may you have a long and happy life together!

Diane

Thank you!  This is very helpful-- I will look into these locations.  We were definitely going to stay in the Mamanucas or Yasawas for about 4 of the nights, but do you think we should stay on a different island for the other half?  Thanks so much, and I will be in touch. 

Rick Garrett said:

Bula Valerie,

I usually recommend bypassing the main island, Viti Levu, altogether in favor of one of the island resorts in the Mamanucas, Yasawas, or depending on if you also scuba dive, the windward islands such as Taveuni or Vanua Levu.  In general though, the best beaches are in the Mamanucas and the Yasawas.  The Coral Coast caters mainly to Aussie families, not really a honeymoon oriented area.

Depending on your budget, my favorites are Matamanoa and Tokoriki in the Mamanucas, Navutu Stars and Yasawa Island Resort in the Yasawas, and Qamea Island Resort and Namale in the windward islands.  For all around best value I favor Qamea because it has a nice beach, great food, a lot of cultural options and activities, and besides including meals and most activities they also include beer and wine from noon to 10pm.  If you want pricing email me at Rick.Garrett@TravPac.com and I'll get them to you right away.  Fiji is not a place you should book directly, there are too many transportation complications there.

Thanks, I will look up the Blue Lagoon Cruise! :)

Diane Money said:

You can't rely on the Coral Coast for weather or beaches (in my opinion).  I highly recommend the Blue Lagoon Cruise but save it for the last part of your honeymoon because everything will pale after the cruise.  I did NOT like the Sonaisali so would not recommend that but check out Octopus, maybe Oarsman's.  Lomalagi looks beautiful but have never stayed there....on my bucket list.

Congratulations, and may you have a long and happy life together!

Diane

Ideally if you can split stay half the time in the Mamanucas/Yasawas and the other half in the windward islands (Taveuni or Vanua Levu) you get the best of both worlds.  They are such different experiences that way you don't miss anything.  It does add to the expense though as you might miss a free night by not staying in any one hotel long enough to qualify, but there are several hotels offering a 5th night free that time of year, Qamea for instance, so you could do five and five or something like that and still get a good deal.

Valerie Taylor said:

Thank you!  This is very helpful-- I will look into these locations.  We were definitely going to stay in the Mamanucas or Yasawas for about 4 of the nights, but do you think we should stay on a different island for the other half?  Thanks so much, and I will be in touch. 

Rick Garrett said:

Bula Valerie,

After looking into Namale and Qamea, it looks like they are out of our budget.  From San Francisco, we are hoping to spend $6,000-$7,000 total (2 people, flight and room).  What do you think of the First Landing Resort? Also, what is the main difference between Matamamoa and Castaway?  I really appreciate your help.

Rick Garrett said:

Ideally if you can split stay half the time in the Mamanucas/Yasawas and the other half in the windward islands (Taveuni or Vanua Levu) you get the best of both worlds.  They are such different experiences that way you don't miss anything.  It does add to the expense though as you might miss a free night by not staying in any one hotel long enough to qualify, but there are several hotels offering a 5th night free that time of year, Qamea for instance, so you could do five and five or something like that and still get a good deal.

Valerie Taylor said:

Rick Garrett said:

Bula Valerie,

Matamanoa is a lot more romantic.  While Castaway gets it's share of honeymoon couples, it's more a family resort.  And the bures at Matamanoa are nicer and less expensive as well.  First Landing no.  Nothing there really.  Not much of a beach, I've never really understood why anyone built those hotels up there in Lautoka.

With your budget, we might also look at a combination of The Uprising with Lalati.  Uprising was a pure backpacker place but then they build these really nice bures on the beach that are very affordable.  It's down in Pacific Harbor and there is a nice beach there and it's not far from the marina where the boats depart from that to out to Beqa Lagoon.  Lalati is an island resort out in Beqa Lagoon.  No beach, but romantic with nice bures and it includes meals.  Both places are nice and very reasonable.  Could hit your budget with a combo of those two I think.  BTW, I'm in Aptos, where are you?

Valerie Taylor said:

After looking into Namale and Qamea, it looks like they are out of our budget.  From San Francisco, we are hoping to spend $6,000-$7,000 total (2 people, flight and room).  What do you think of the First Landing Resort? Also, what is the main difference between Matamamoa and Castaway?  I really appreciate your help.

Rick Garrett said:

Valerie Taylor said:

Rick Garrett said:

Bula Valerie,

I was in Lalati over Christmas, as a matter of fact had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner there. I really enjoyed the place.  Good food, very comfortable digs and plenty to do in the way of water activities and cultural stuff.  Elegant without being pretentious.  Good scuba operation there too.

Bula Valerie

You could try Savasi Island in Savusavu..one of its own...If you need to contact them for bookings..let me know..or you could email them direct...You wont be disappinted..Savasi is about 10 minutes form Savusavu situated on th coast of Vanua Levu..a privately owned island.

Hi Valerie

You could email me on mccaigw@gmail.com if you interested in Savasi Island.

Cheers..

Hope you have a great trip.  Be sure and let us know how it transpires...

Hello everybody, my name is Annie :)

I'm "attaching" my request to this post since it's very similar.

My fiancee and I already booked 2 nights in september in Matamanoi. We chose that one after researching on this forum actually... We're very excited about that!

We still have 3 nights, 1 before and 2 after Matamanoi. 

I see suggestions for Taveuni or Vanua Levu - how are they so different than Matamanoi?

Thanks for any advice. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

© 2017   Created by Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service